The small town of Jumbunna was once a thriving coal mining township, with land first opened for selection in 1878. The Jumbunna Coal Company brought major infrastructure to the town and during the coal boom, the town had a population of around 800 people and produced 1,364,376 tonnes of coal.
These days, the actual township consists of 13 houses and approximately 40 residents, with another 80 residents in the surrounding rural areas. Property in the area is very tightly held and always in demand. The last shop in town was the General Store, which closed in 1976. The State School closed in 1986, when the school building was sold.